"Stop ghosting candidates. It takes time to respond to job applicants. But it took them even longer to apply. A little communication goes a long way." - Daniel Abrahams.

Something interesting happened at Prikkle Academy Rwanda in the past few days.

My team were recruiting for business development interns and we had over 60 applications in 5 days within #Kigali.

At least, over 20% of the applications passed to the interview stage.

Although we could see the potential in all the 60+ applications, we couldn't take all of them.

We knew their current CVs, cover letters and their digital footprints may be to their disservice, as some may never be aware of what they are not doing correctly.

The interesting part is this:

My team sent out acceptance emails and then, when they got to the point of sending out emails to unaccepted applications (note: not unaccepted applicants), we tweaked it.

My team decided to invite (they can decline or accept) them to an online community for free, where they can learn more on wh what recruiters are looking for (and what they may be doing wrong).

Only 3 of them accepted to join and 1 showed up at our physical event.

This 1 sat all through a 3-hour event, writing, learning and realising all the mistakes she has been making over the past months of sending out résumé.

This was the comment: "Wow, I see why your team wouldn't have selected my application, now I know how to make my next application excellent"

That was a heart-warming statement. 👏🎉☀️

Stop ghosting candidates. It takes work, but you may just be the door to their next greatness.

What do you think about this?

2 replies